If you are thinking of starting yoga, don't worry, it's not all yoga pants and sticking your legs behind you head! You probably have some idea of what it is, the type of person who may go to a yoga class, what you should wear, what you should look like and maybe you are worried or nervous that it's not for you. I really believe that yoga is for EVERY body, that means whoever you are and whatever body you are in.
You may feel intimidated about coming to a class for the first time, so here are a few pointers to give you an overview:
- You don't need to be able to touch your toes! We all have different levels of flexibility and you will find that yours changes from day to day, class to class.
- There is no need to "keep up", you will find that everyone in a class are at very different levels and a lot of the practice is about accepting where you are, today.
- You won't need to invest in a whole new wardrobe - loose, comfortable clothing is fine.
- You don't have to have a certain look or body type - Whatever your size or shape, yoga can help you build strength and flexibility.
- Yoga is good for the mind, as well as the body - This practice will enable you to slow down and really come into the present moment. Over time, yoga will benefit your mind and help you relax.
If you want to get inspired, have a read of the amazing Jessamyn Stanley, here is an excerpt from her Every Body Yoga book: http://www.yogajournal.com/beginners/jessamyn-stanley-every-body-yoga-book-excerpt/
If you have any questions, send me a message and I'll be happy to chat.